Orchestra Manager, 2018/19 Season
The New York Youth Symphony is seeking a Manager for its award-winning Orchestra's 2018/2019 season. Under the direction of music director, Michael Repper, the season will include performances at Carnegie Hall, Ansche Chesed, and on tour in Spain. The Orchestra Manager is a key member of the program staff and reports directly to the Director of Artistic Operations and the music director. This part-time, hourly position is available beginning in August 2018 and runs through the end of the tour in July 2019.
The successful candidate will have a background in classical music, production experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, professionalism, and computer literacy. An enthusiastic and positive attitude is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage auditions held between August 28-September 12, 2018
- Communicate results to applicants and assist administrative office with follow-up with students on registration paperwork and payments as needed
- Attend all scheduled rehearsals (Sundays 2-6pm), dress rehearsals, and concerts
- Set up and strike chairs, stands, and music for rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts
- Record attendance of orchestra members
- Notify senior staff of member absences
- Supervise program-wide workshops and record student attendance
- Work with The DiMenna Center staff on any issues with rehearsal reservations or facility needs
- Participate in the planning and attend annual Kickoff retreat Sept 21-23 on Long Island, may involve chaperoning duties
- Draft stage plots for each concert cycle
- Provide administrative office with Orchestra Roster for each concert cycle’s program
- E-mail weekly assignments and announcements to the orchestra
- Work with the senior staff on securing alternate students and ringers as needed
- Supervise work study students
Liaise: The Orchestra manager is the hub of communication for the orchestra. As the primarily contact between the Orchestra, Administrative Office, Parents, Students and more, duties include:
- Communicating with parents and students regarding rehearsal schedules and policies in a timely manner
- Communicating any issues or concerns about students, parents, rental facilities, librarian or other issues to the Director of Artistic Operations each Monday following rehearsal
- Attend and manage the orchestra’s principals at the Composition program’s Orchestra Reading Session on Saturday, February 2, 2019 and Composition Date performance at Symphony Space on Thursday, May 16, 2019.
- Work with principal musicians to secure alternate musicians for reading session as needed
The orchestra will embark on a 12-day tour to Spain in late June-early July of 2019. The orchestra manager will play a crucial role in coordinating students and will help with production needs for rehearsals and performances.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and résumé via email with ‘Orchestra Manager’ in the subject line to Isabel Kim, Director of Artistic Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jazz Band Manager, 2018/19 Season
The New York Youth Symphony seeks a Manager for its Jazz Band's 2018/19 season. Under the direction of Andy Clausen, the Jazz Band is a 17-member swing ensemble dedicated to studying, rehearsing, and performing classic big band jazz music. The 2018/19 season will include performances at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola and the Appel Room with soloists Roxy Coss, Ryan Keberle, Matt Holman, and Arturo O’Farrill. Additional concerts are held at Sir D's in Brooklyn. This part-time, hourly position reports to the Director of Artistic Operations and the director of the Jazz Band. The position is season and runs from September 2018 — June 2019.
Requirements: The successful candidate will have a background in jazz, production experience, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, professionalism, and computer literacy. An enthusiastic and positive attitude is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage auditions held on September 16 and 17, 2018.
- Attend each Sunday evening rehearsal, dress rehearsal, and concert.
- Rehearsal set up and tear down of chairs, stands, amps, and drum kit.
- Track attendance of students.
- Attend each performance and dress rehearsal.
- Communicate with students and parents regarding rehearsal schedules, policies, and announcements.
- Transport equipment to all concerts, i.e. band stands, extension cords, amps, drum kit, and music suitcase.
- Prepare stage plots and roster for each concert.
- Assist senior office staff with pre- and post-performance coordination.
- Coordinate Performances for Special Audiences with band members and staff.
- Some music preparation may be involved.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and résumé via email with Jazz Band Manager in the subject line to Isabel Kim, Director of Artistic Operations, email@example.com