THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY.
Auditions for the 2018/19 season are now closed. We invite you to audition for the 2019/20 season - please check back in June 2019 for further audition information.
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in a NYYS Program, the applicant's birthdate must be no earlier than May 17, 1996 and no later than November 17, 2006, inclusive.
All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. Start your application here.
The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Limited fee waivers are available. Download the fee waiver application here.
Program Registration Fees
The cost of each NYYS program is $5,000/per student. However, all students’ participation is generously underwritten by scholarships. Once accepted into a NYYS program, a registration fee is required to confirm your participation. The 2018/2019 season registration fees are as follows:
- Apprentice Conducting: $150
- Chamber Music: $400
- Composition: $350
- Musical Theater Composition: $350
- Jazz: $100
- Orchestra: $575 (includes mandatory Kickoff Weekend Fees)
Please note: Kickoff Weekend will be September 21-23, 2018 at Camp DeWolfe in Wading River, NY. Attendance is required for all Orchestra members.
Financial Aid, Work-Study, and Application Waivers
The New York Youth Symphony's core values state that no one is to be excluded by their ability to pay. Therefore, application waivers, financial aid and work-study opportunities are available for students to recoup the Registration and Audition fees. Please keep in mind that funds are limited. We ask that students also seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing this form. If you are interested in applying for the waiver, financial aid, and/or work-study, please fill out the form below, and return all documents and information required by September 4, 2018 to the New York Youth Symphony, 110 West 40th St. Suite 1503, New York, NY 10018, or upload all application material to Dropbox, then share your Dropbox files with firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the form for application fee waivers, scholarship application, and work-study here.
Scheduling Your Audition
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an email with the link for you to schedule your audition online. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online.
Audition Dates for the 2018/2019 season are:
Orchestra: August 24 - September 9, 2018
Jazz: September 16-17, 2018
Chamber: September 4-16, 2018
Composition: September 13-14, 2018
Musical Theater Composition: September 15-16, 2018
Apprentice Conducting: September 17, 2018
All applications must be completed online. The application should take 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information listed below before you begin your application, as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time. Required Information and Documents include:
- Digital copy of Passport, State ID or Birth Certificate (JPEG or PDF files smaller than 1mb preferred).
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- Emergency contact information.
- Contact information for parents/guardians and grandparents.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent.
- Applicants are required to submit a video up to one minute in length stating their reasons for applying to the NYYS and their most memorable musical experience. The video must be uploaded to YouTube (if you wish to keep the video private, please select “Unlisted” as the upload option), and the link pasted into the application.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. If you do not receive confirmation within 15 minutes, please contact the NYYS at email@example.com or call (212) 581-5933.
Start your application here.
2018/2019 Calendar of Events
The complete calendar of events for the 2018/2019 season is available here.