David Alan Miller Fellowship/Assistant Conductor for the 2021/22 Season
The David Alan Miller Fellow serves as the Assistant Conductor of the New York Youth Symphony Orchestra and Music Director Michael Repper, and helps facilitate the NYYS Conducting Program. They assist in the preparation of the repertoire for the three Carnegie Hall performances, and serve as the understudy for the Music Director. For the Conducting Program, the fellow communicates with students, assists in curriculum development, and liaises between the Music Director and NYYS office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend and evaluate orchestra auditions with the Music Director via Zoom (August 23-31).
- Attend the Kickoff weekend retreat at Camp De Wolfe in Wading River, NY from September 10-12, leading sectionals and group activities as needed.
- Attend all rehearsals (Sundays from 2-6:45pm at The DiMenna Center for Classical Music in NYC), concerts, and coaching sessions. Provide feedback to Music Director and guidance to students as needed
- Understudy all repertoire performed by the orchestra.
- Attend all Apprentice Conducting classes (Sundays from 12-1:30pm) and provide administration for the program including sending weekly reminders and assignments to students.
- Assist with musician recruitment and instrument procurement as needed throughout the season, including but not limited to researching lists in the office, phoning and e-mailing teachers, and following leads from orchestra members.
- Oversee fellowship students (principal players) as instructed by Music Director and ensure that they fulfill their duties including bowings and other part markings prior to rehearsal.
- Assist with preparations for Composition Date performance and workshops.
- Assume the role of Orchestra Manager in the case he/she is absent.
The ideal candidate is an aspiring conductor either studying conducting in college or recently graduated, looking to grow through the experience of working with a large ensemble.
- Residency within the five boroughs of New York City required
- 3 years of conducting experience at collegiate level or above
- Experience working with musicians in an educational setting
The David Alan Miller Fellowship offers an annual stipend of $6,000.
Please e-mail a cover letter and CV/resume with “NYYS Assistant Conductor” in the subject line to Amanda Fischer, Director of Artistic Operations at afischer[at]nyys[dot]org by July 9, 2021. Please also include a link to a YouTube/Vimeo video showcasing 2 contrasting works preferably with both rehearsal and performance footage. Full orchestra footage is preferred, but any smaller ensemble is acceptable including pianist/string ensemble or pianist alone.
NYYS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from diverse and historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.