Director of Marketing
The New York Youth Symphony is seeking a Director of Marketing to join its full-time staff of four. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will be a creative thinker with excellent communication and design skills, a self-initiating, professional temperament, and 3-5 years of experience in marketing and/or public relations. This position is responsible for creation and implementation of the marketing plan, including design of marketing pieces, social media accounts, ticket sales, public relations, and the website.
The New York Youth Symphony (NYYS) is one of the most awarded youth programs in the nation, recognized for its innovative, tuition-free educational programs for talented young musicians. Founded in 1963 as an orchestra to showcase the metropolitan area’s most gifted musicians ages 12-22, its activities have since grown to encompass programs in chamber music, conducting, composition, musical theater songwriting, and jazz, with performances at world class venues including Carnegie Hall and Jazz at Lincoln Center. Through its commissioning program, First Music, the NYYS has commissioned over 170 works from young composers since 1984.
- Designs and implements marketing/advertising plan for the season
- Designs and implements digital marketing strategies, including the website, advertising, and social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts (paid and organic)
- Oversees ticketing for all NYYS concerts, including direct sales of orchestra subscriptions and coordination with performance venues including Carnegie Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center, and Joe’s Pub, among others
- Designs select printed marketing materials, including season brochure, newsletters, posters, postcards, invitations, etc.
- Writes and distributes press releases to media outlets
- Creates and markets advertising opportunities within NYYS concert programs & emails
- Maintains and develops relationships with community partners
- Supervises the Administrative and Marketing Assistant with the Executive Director
- Hires and supervises intern(s)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business or arts management preferred
- 3 or more years within non-profit or related positions
- Excellent collaborative and leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience and expertise with InDesign, Photoshop, and email marketing systems required
- Experience with CRMs
- Experience with social media tools/emerging media and media distribution/tracking databases
- Preferred qualities: A creative thinker, team player, positive attitude, consumer oriented personality, highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Knowledge of classical music and/or jazz is desirable, but not required
- Covid-19 vaccination (Must use one of the FDA authorized vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson)).
- New York Metropolitan Area location: Staff are in the office two days per week with the remaining 3 days working from home. Computer equipment will be provided to maintain fluidity between in-person and remote days.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits including health insurance, generous vacation, and contributions to a 403(b) plan after two years of employment.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and two writing and design samples to squill[at]nyys.org. NYYS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates from diverse and historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.