THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY!
The 2021/2022 auditions will be held both online via Zoom and in-person. For information on how this will affect each program, please click the corresponding program link in the left-side menu.
All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Application fee waivers and financial aid are available. Please apply for both within the NYYS program application.
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in the 2021/2022 season, the applicant's date of birth must be no earlier than May 31, 1999 and no later than August 6, 2009.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- The New York Youth Symphony will require all Students to be vaccinated with an FDA emergency use authorized vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) in order to participate in any of our programs during the 2021/22 season.
- Proof of completed vaccination must be uploaded within the 2021/22 season application.
- The reason for our vaccination requirement is to protect the health and safety of our NYYS community to the fullest extent possible.
- The NYYS will continue to rely on the most up-to-date medical information available and governmental guidance to make informed decisions about our vaccination requirement.
- Individuals may request religious or medical exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccination requirements which will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Questions? For more information, email info[at]nyys[dot]org.
Program Registration Fees
NYYS does not charge tuition, however registration fees are collected to help cover program costs.
- Orchestra: $605
- Chamber Music: $425
- Composition: $370
- Musical Theater Songwriting: $365
- Jazz: $85
- Apprentice Conducting: $165
The NYYS recognizes that the cost of application and registration fees may be prohibitive for some students, and that access to technology may be a barrier to participation in online activities. Financial aid, application fee waivers, work-study, and technology funds are available to help offset these expenses. Financial need is the major consideration when awarding assistance. We ask that students seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing the financial aid application as funds are limited.
The application for all financial aid is found within the NYYS program application.
Scheduling Your Audition
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an email with the link for you to schedule your audition. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online.
Auditions will be held on the following dates:
- Orchestra: August 23-31 (Virtual only)
- Chamber Music: September 9-12, 16, 18-19 (In-person and virtual)
- Jazz: September 23-26 (In-person only)
- Composition: September 9-10 (Virtual only)
- Musical Theater Songwriting: September 19-20 (In-person only)
- Conducting: September 22 (Virtual only)
Required Information and Documents for Application
The online application should take 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information listed below before you begin your application, as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time.
Required Information and Documents include:
- Eligibility documentation: Digital copy of passport, state ID or birth certificate, or letter from your school verifying age (JPEG or PDF files must be 1 MB or less).
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- Emergency contact information.
- Contact information for parents/guardians and grandparents.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent for participation.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. If you do not receive confirmation within 15 minutes, please email info[at]nyys[dot]org or call (212) 581-5933. Please allow 2-3 business days for a response as staff are working remotely.