THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY!
Applications for the 2019/2020 season are now closed. Please check back in May 2020 for the 2020/2021 season application.
Before you apply, please review the audition information for your program here:
- Chamber Music
- Musical Theater Composition
- Robert L. Poster Apprentice Conducting Program
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in the 2019/2020 season, the applicant's date of birth must be no earlier than May 31, 1997 and no later than November 1, 2007.
All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Financial aid is available.
Program Registration Fees
- Apprentice Conducting: $155
- Chamber Music: $415
- Composition: $360
- Musical Theater Composition: $355
- Jazz: $110
- Orchestra: $595
The New York Youth Symphony's core values state that no one is to be excluded by their ability to pay. Therefore, financial aid and work-study opportunities are available. The financial aid form is included in your program application. Please keep in mind that funds are limited. We ask that students also seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing this form.
Scheduling Your Audition
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an email with the link for you to schedule your audition online. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online.
Auditions will be held from mid-August through early September. Please check back in May 2020 for your program's audition dates.
Need help preparing for your orchestra and/or chamber music audition? Sign up to participate in the NYYS Audition Bootcamp led by Cory Lee of the Liberated Performer. In this workshop, you will gain valuable musical insights and performance experience with your repertoire. You will participate in multiple 10-minute mock auditions in front of a panel in the actual audition room, receive comments and video feedback, and attend an audition strategy lecture for further learning. The cost of the bootcamp is $75. Please check back in May 2020 for the bootcamp dates.
Required Information and Documents for Application
The online application should take 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information listed below before you begin your application, as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time.
Required Information and Documents include:
- Digital copy of Passport, State ID or Birth Certificate (JPEG or PDF files smaller than 1mb preferred).
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- Emergency contact information.
- Contact information for parents/guardians and grandparents.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent.
- If you are applying for financial aid and/or scholarship, you will need the first two pages of your parents' most recently submitted tax forms.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. If you do not receive confirmation within 15 minutes, please contact the NYYS at email@example.com or call (212) 581-5933.