THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY!
The health and safety of NYYS students and their families are of the greatest importance to the NYYS. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic all auditions will be held online, via Zoom. In addition, NYYS will hold 2020/2021 activities both online and in-person in accordance with governmental regulations. For information on how this will affect each program, please click the corresponding program link in the left-side menu.
All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Application fee waivers and financial aid are available within the application.
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in the 2020/2021 season, the applicant's date of birth must be no earlier than May 31, 1998 and no later than November 1, 2008.
Program Registration Fees
NYYS does not charge tuition, however registration fees are collected to help cover program costs.
- Orchestra: $595
- Chamber Music: $415
- Composition: $360
- Musical Theater Songwriting: $355
- Jazz: $75
- Apprentice Conducting: $155
The NYYS recognizes that the cost of application and registration fees may be prohibitive for some students, and that access to technology may be a barrier to participation in online activities. Financial aid, application fee waivers, work-study, and technology funds are available to help offset these expenses. Financial need is the major consideration when awarding assistance. We ask that students seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing the financial aid application as funds are limited.
Scheduling Your Audition
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an email with the link for you to schedule your online audition. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online. Auditions will be held via Zoom - please download the Zoom app for free here.
Audition dates for each program are as follows:
- Orchestra: August 21 - September 7
- Chamber Music: September 8 - 20
- Composition: September 10 - 11
- Musical Theater Songwriting: September 28 - October 1
- Apprentice Conducting: September 16
- Jazz: January 2021
Required Information and Documents for Application
The online application should take 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information listed below before you begin your application, as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time.
Required Information and Documents include:
- Digital copy of Passport, State ID or Birth Certificate (JPEG or PDF files must be 1 MB or less).
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- Emergency contact information.
- Contact information for parents/guardians and grandparents.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent for participation.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. If you do not receive confirmation within 15 minutes, please email email@example.com or call (212) 581-5933. Please allow 2-3 business days for a response as staff are working remotely.
apply for the 2020/2021 season
Applications for the 2020/2021 season are now open! Click here to start your application.