Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the New York Youth Symphony's Jazz Program (NYYS Jazz)!
Under the direction of Andy Clausen, NYYS Jazz is a 17-member jazz ensemble dedicated to studying, rehearsing, and performing classic big band jazz music. Modeled on the bands of the 1930's and 1940's, the Jazz Program preserves this heritage and, keeping with jazz traditions, incorporates it into the current and emerging styles that define the genre for the present generation.
Applications for the 2021/22 season are closed. Please check back in June 2022 for the 2022/2023 season application.
Jazz auditions will be held in-person on September 25-28, 2021.
Please wear a mask when you come for your in-person audition.
Applicants should review the guidelines on this page to make sure that they can fulfill the commitment to the program before applying. If you have any questions, please email info(at)nyys(dot)org. Please allow 2-3 business days for a response as staff are working remotely.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- The New York Youth Symphony will require all Students to be vaccinated with an FDA emergency use authorized vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) in order to participate in any of our programs during the 2021/22 season.
- Proof of completed vaccination must be uploaded within the 2021/22 season application.
- The reason for our vaccination requirement is to protect the health and safety of our NYYS community to the fullest extent possible.
- The NYYS will continue to rely on the most up-to-date medical information available and governmental guidance to make informed decisions about our vaccination requirement.
- Individuals may request religious or medical exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccination requirements which will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Questions? For more information, email info[at]nyys[dot]org.
NYYS Jazz rehearsals will be held on Sundays from 5:00-7:30 pm at Michiko Studios near Times Square.
Auditions will be held in-person on September 23-26 at the NYYS offices (110 W. 40th St, Suite 1503, New York, NY 10018) and Michiko Studios (149 W. 46th St, Floor 3, New York, NY 10036).
Fees & Financial Aid
There is a $95 non-refundable application fee. Upon acceptance to the program there is a $85 registration fee.
The NYYS recognizes that the cost of application and registration fees may be prohibitive for some students, and that access to technology may be a barrier to participation in online activities. Financial aid, application fee waivers, work-study, and technology funds are available to help offset these expenses. Financial need is the major consideration when awarding assistance. We ask that students seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing the financial aid application as funds are limited.
Application fee waivers and additional financial aid are available. Apply FOR BOTH within the NYYS program application.
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in the 2021/2022 season, the applicant's birth date must be no earlier than May 31, 1999 and no later than August 6, 2009. Please do not apply if your birth date falls outside of these dates as you will not be eligible for the program and we are not able to refund your application fee.
What to Expect at Your Audition
Auditions will be held in-person on September 25-28, 2021. Upon completing the online application, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to schedule your audition online.
Auditions are ten minutes in length. A warm up room is available ten minutes prior to your audition time.
Your audition will consist of the following:
Excerpts (available here)
Improvisation. Please prepare the following songs (included in excerpts):
Jerome Kern: "All The Things You Are"
Charlie Parker: "Billie's Bounce"
If you wish to be considered for an auxiliary instrument, please prepare an additional excerpt of your choice. Flute and clarinet are desirable as auxiliary instruments.
Drum applicants need to bring their own Cymbals, Universal Clutch, and sticks.
Guitar and Bass applicants need to bring their own cables (amp is provided).