Orpheus Arts Management Fellowship
New York Youth Symphony is proud to partner with Orpheus Chamber Orchestra to create a new fellowship opportunity aimed to encourage greater diversity in the orchestral field. Open to NYYS alums from diverse backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in classical music who are one to three years out of their undergraduate programs. Designed to build skills and industry knowledge vital to a 21st-century career in the arts, the program will provide exposure and training across the core operating functions of a professional chamber orchestra. Fellows will receive support from the entire Orpheus team, and benefit from a unique combination of artistic and administrative experience, including:
- Immersion in the Orpheus Process®, the distinct model which governs all aspects of the organization.
- Mentorship by Orpheus staff and musicians.
- Cross-departmental work experience rotating through marketing, development, education, and operations. Work will be weekly with flexible hours, September through May.
- Capstone experience exploring all aspects of concert production by self-presenting a recital in NYC.
- Participation on fellow’s instrument in four Orpheus rehearsals
- Other funding for career development expenses such as audition travel, instruction, and instrument repair/supplies.
Total award stipend of $8,500 includes $5,000 for rehearsal participation and administrative hours plus a $3,500 career development fund towards recital development and other expenses.
All applicants must have completed their bachelor’s degree by May 2019. Applicants must be nominated by the NYYS. Eligible applicants include current NYYS students and alumni who have not yet begun a professional career in the arts.
Applications for the 2019 Fellowship are now open. Apply here by August 5th to be considered.