THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY.
Auditions for the 2017/18 season are now closed. Please check back in June 2018 for the 2018/19 season audition guidelines.
In order to participate in a NYYS Program, the applicant's birthdate must be no earlier than May 29, 1995 and no later than November 20, 2006, inclusive. All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Application waivers are available at the bottom of this page.
2018/2019 Calendar of Events
The full calendar of events for the 2017/2018 season can be found here.
Dates are subject to change and students will receive a complete schedule upon being accepted into the program.
Program Registration Fees
The cost of each NYYS program is $5,000/per student, however all students’ participation is generously underwritten by scholarships. Once accepted into a NYYS program a registration fee is required to confirm your participation. The 2017/2018 season registration fees are as follows:
- Robert L. Poster Apprentice Conducting: $150
- Chamber Music: $400
- Composition: $350
- Jazz: $100
- Musical Theater Composition: $350
- Orchestra: $575 (includes mandatory Kickoff Weekend Fees)
Please note: Kickoff Weekend will be September 15-17, 2017 at Camp DeWolfe in Wading River, NY. Attendance is required for all Orchestra members.
Financial Aid, Work-Study, & Application Waivers
The New York Youth Symphony's core values state that no one is to be excluded by their ability to pay. Therefore, application waivers, financial aid and work-study opportunities are available for students to recoup the Registration and Audition fees. Please keep in mind, however, that funds are limited. We ask that students also seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing this form. If you are interested in applying for the waiver, financial aid and/or work-study, please fill out the form below, and return all documents and information required by September 1, 2017 to the New York Youth Symphony, 110 West 40th St. Suite 1503, New York, NY 10018, or upload all application material to Dropbox, then share your Dropbox files with email@example.com.
Scheduling Your Audition
Upon submitting your application and application fee, you will receive an email with the link for you to schedule your audition online. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online.
Audition Dates for the 2018/2019 season are:
- Orchestra: August 24 - September 9
- Jazz September 16, 17
- Chamber Music: September 4 - 16
- Composition: September 13, 14
- Robert L. Poster Apprentice Conducting: September 17
- Musical Theater Composition: September 12
Audition requirements and excerpts for the Orchestra and Jazz programs can be found here:
- Orchestra Audition Requirements
- Jazz Excerpts
- Chamber Music applicants must prepare two (2) solo movements of contrasting styles (can be from the same work)
- Composition applicants are asked to bring at least one recent composition (score and recording) to their interview for discussion. MIDI files are acceptable.
- Robert L. Poster Apprentice Conducting Application Material Requirements
- Musical Theater Composition
All applications are required to be completed online. The application should take between 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information required below before you begin your application as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time. Required Information and Documents include:
- Digital copy of Passport, State ID or Birth Certificate (JPEG or PDF files smaller than 1mb preferred)
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- Emergency contact information.
- Contact information for parents/guardians and grandparents.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent.
- NEW: applicants are required to submit a video up to one-minute long stating their reasons for applying to the NYYS and why they study music. The video must be uploaded to YouTube (if you wish to keep the video private, please select “Unlisted” as the upload option), and the link pasted into the application form.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. If you do not receive confirmation within 15 minutes, please contact the NYYS at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have issues completing the form, please try to complete it using a different browser before phoning the office.