Under the direction of Andy Clausen, the New York Youth Symphony Jazz Band is a 17-member swing ensemble dedicated to studying, rehearsing, and performing classic big band jazz music. Modeled on the bands of the 1930's and 1940's, the Jazz program preserves this heritage and, keeping with jazz traditions, incorporates it into the current and emerging styles that define the genre for the present generation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- The New York Youth Symphony will require all Students to be vaccinated with an FDA emergency use authorized vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) in order to participate in any of our programs during the 2021/22 season.
- Proof of completed vaccination must be uploaded within the 2021/22 season application.
- The reason for our vaccination requirement is to protect the health and safety of our NYYS community to the fullest extent possible.
- The NYYS will continue to rely on the most up-to-date medical information available and governmental guidance to make informed decisions about our vaccination requirement.
- Individuals may request religious or medical exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccination requirements which will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Questions? For more information, email info[at]nyys[dot]org.
NYYS Jazz performances have featured renowned soloists including Arturo O'Farrill, Wycliffe Gordon, Stefon Harris, Ted Nash, Maria Schneider, Jane Monheit, Joe Lovano, Steve Turre, Victor Goines, Slide Hampton, Jimmy Heath, Joe Locke, Eric Reed, Lew Soloff, and Frank Wess, giving students a chance to play alongside today's most exciting professional musicians.
NYYS Jazz sessions will be held in-person on Sundays from 5:00-7:30 pm at the Michiko Studios at 149 W. 46th St, Floor 3, New York, NY 10036.
Throughout the season, rehearsals are augmented by masterclass clinics with some of today's most eminent jazz professionals.
Applications for the 2021/2022 season are now open! Please check the audition section of our website for eligibility and fee requirements, application information, and audition dates.
Board of Advisors
Steven D. Shaiman, Trustee Chair