THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN AUDITIONING FOR THE NEW YORK YOUTH SYMPHONY!
Please read everything carefully on this page before applying.
New York Youth Symphony serves students between the ages of 12 and 22. In order to participate in the 2022/2023 season, the applicant's date of birth must be no earlier than May 28, 2000 and no later than November 20, 2010.
The application process
All applicants must complete a single application, which may be applied to one or more programs. The application fee is $95 and is non-refundable. Application fee waivers and financial aid are available. Please apply for BOTH within the application.
Upon submitting your application, you will receive an email with a link to schedule your audition, plus a link for you to fill out a program-specific supplemental form, which must be completed before your audition/interview. Please note that auditions can only be scheduled online. All auditions/interviews except for the Conducting program will be held in-person, however, if you are not in the NYC area at the time of the auditions, please contact the NYYS office to schedule a virtual audition, which will be granted on a limited basis.
Auditions will be held on the following dates:
- Orchestra: August 29th ~ September 6th
- Chamber Music: September 6th & 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 17th & 18th
- Composition: September 8th & 9th
- Musical Theater Songwriting: October 7th & 8th
- Jazz: September 28th, 29th & October 1st
- Conducting: September 21st (Virtual interview on Zoom)
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Students are required to be vaccinated and boosted with an FDA-authorized vaccine to participate in our programs.
Program Registration Fees and financial aid
Registration fees for the 2022/23 season are as follows:
- Orchestra: $625
- Chamber Music: $450
- Composition: $395
- Musical Theater Songwriting: $385
- Jazz: $95
- Apprentice Conducting: $195
The NYYS recognizes that the cost of application and registration fees may be prohibitive for some students, and that access to technology may be a barrier to participation. Financial aid, application fee waivers, work-study, and technology funds are available to help offset these expenses. Financial need is the major consideration when awarding assistance. We ask that students seek funding through their personal networks in addition to completing the financial aid application as funds are limited. The application for financial assistance is within the main application.
Required Information and Documents for Application
The online application should take 15-20 minutes to complete. Please make sure you have all of the documents and information listed below before you begin your application, as you cannot save your work and resume at a later time.
Required Information and Documents include:
- Eligibility documentation: Digital copy of passport, state ID or birth certificate, or letter from your school verifying age (JPEG or PDF files must be 1 MB or less).
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster.
- Your private music teacher's name and contact information, if applicable.
- Your school's name and school music teacher's contact information, if applicable.
- If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must be available to provide legal consent for participation.
Upon submission of the application, applicants will receive an email confirming successful submission. Please note that most programs have a supplemental form that must be completed prior to your audition/interview. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 15 minutes, please email info[at]nyys[dot]org or call (212) 581-5933.