With its sophisticated programming, performances in one of the world's greatest concert halls, superb musical leadership under Music Director Michael Repper, new works commissioned of the nation's best young composers, outstanding soloists, and professional-level attitude, the New York Youth Symphony Orchestra sets itself apart as one of the finest ensembles in the nation. Recent orchestra highlights include its first-ever tour to Spain (June 2019), an appearance on CBS Sunday Morning, and an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! performing with Misty Copeland.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- The New York Youth Symphony will require all Students to be vaccinated with an FDA emergency use authorized vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson) in order to participate in any of our programs during the 2021/22 season.
- Proof of completed vaccination must be uploaded within the 2021/22 season application.
- The reason for our vaccination requirement is to protect the health and safety of our NYYS community to the fullest extent possible.
- The NYYS will continue to rely on the most up-to-date medical information available and governmental guidance to make informed decisions about our vaccination requirement.
- Individuals may request religious or medical exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccination requirements which will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Questions? For more information, email info[at]nyys[dot]org.
- Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 2PM
- Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 2PM
- Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 2PM
Concert dates are subject to change pending CDC guidelines
Orchestra rehearsals are held on Sundays from 2-6pm at the DiMenna Center for Classical Music, located at 450 West 37th Street, New York, NY. The first rehearsal is scheduled for Friday, September 10, 2021, at Kickoff at Camp DeWolfe in Wading River, NY.
Sectional rehearsals are held once per concert cycle, led by members of the New York Philharmonic, the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, and prominent musicians in the metropolitan area.
First Music World Premiere
Each season, the Orchestra performs the world premieres of three pieces by young American composers commissioned through the NYYS First Music program. Orchestra members collaborate with today's most gifted young composers in a unique opportunity for both composer and player to realize musical dreams, and to surmount the challenges of giving the world a new work of art. See the First Music page for this year's commissions.
Fellowships are offered each season to principal string, wind, brass, and percussion players. Additional fellowships are awarded to students who mentor first-year members. Fellows have unique responsibilities within their section, participate in community outreach, and make a commitment for performing new works by students of the Composition program at the annual Orchestration Reading Workshop and Composition Date Concert.
Applications for the 2021/2022 season are now open! Please check the audition section of our website for eligibility and fee requirements, application information, and audition dates.
Note: Prospective applicants are encouraged to attend an NYYS concert in advance, as well as to review the audition information page. To attend an NYYS concert, please email info(at)nyys(dot)org for tickets, or call our offices at (212) 581-5933.